Monday, August 4, 2008

Seven Layer Salad

I made this Seven Layer salad for Enrichment last week and everyone loved it. I thought you might all enjoy the recipe.

INGREDIENTS
1 pound bacon
1 large head iceberg lettuce - rinsed, dried, and chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
10 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped cauliflower
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white sugar
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Crumble and set aside.
In a large flat bowl, place the chopped lettuce and top with a layer of onion, peas, shredded cheese, cauliflower and bacon.
Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, sugar and Parmesan cheese. Drizzle over salad and refrigerate until chilled.

(I actually used homemade ranch dressing instead of the mayonnaise mixture, I thought this made it taste even better. Next time I think I would try adding some spinach and leafy greens to the mixture of lettuce.)

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Mmm yummy! I'll add this to my recipe box. My mom has made something like this before, I think she uses broccoli too. Maybe it's instead of the cauliflower? If you add more greens to your salad will you change the name to eight layer salad? ;)

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I think you have alwasy been a great cook so I will for sure give this a try! thanks for sharing!!